A BRIEF HISTORY
The Little Chalfont Methodist Society was formally established in October 1952 under the leadership of Revd. Wallace Heaton, with Mr Eric King having pastoral care of the Society. An evening service was started in the Village Hall on 16th November and it rapidly became evident that the Village needed its own
In 1954 land for the present site of the Church was purchased for £862 and the foundation stone was laid in November 1958. The original buildings were completed and dedicated in July 1959.
Over the years the buildings were extended to cater for an increasing demand, but a major extension was made possible by a legacy from Mr Newstead in 1976, when a large ‘youth’ hall (The Newstead Hall) was added, incorporating two small classrooms, kitchen and toilets. Later the new hall was linked to the main building which meant that the original dual purpose hall could be refurbished, and the stage was removed, additional new seating provided, and a pipe organ was installed. At last Little Chalfont had its own ‘proper’ church.
Church membership had reached 133 and the whole place was a hive of activity, supporting many church and non church activities, until July 1993 when disaster struck. The Newstead Hall and linkway were destroyed by fire, and with the tragic death of the senior steward in the same week faith was sorely tested.
However after two years of planning, and a year of building, when services were conducted in Bell Lane School, the new Church reopened on 12th October 1996 and the buildings were dedicated in a special service led by Revd. W. Garth
The Church continues to be a centre for worship and other Church and non Church activities and will, we hope, continue to be a centre of fellowship in the Village for many years to come.